Monday, September 24, 2007

Iron Deficiency

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17

One of the main reasons for starting this blog is so that I could share my thoughts with Godly men who would test and approve, reject, modify, or scoff at them. I currently work in a situation where there is very little interaction with other men on a day to day basis, and so I need this to be my iron supplement.

HOWEVER

Nobody is commenting. I am not benefiting from this as I had hoped. I am still getting alot out of it as it helps me think twice about the bible verses I read, but there is so much more to be gained if a few good men (or women) would contribute their voices.

If you think I got it wrong on something, give me a good descriptive comment about how wrong I am.

If you think I hit it on the nail, say so and elaborate.

If you think my comments are on the surface and lazy (which is probably the most likely scenario), say so and challenge me to go deeper.

Thanks in advance for your insights.
Drew

5 comments:

Brandon said...

You said "(or women)" but that's not what Prov 27:17 says. I think you are being a little lazy and surface with this verse and need to go deeper.

Drew said...

Thank you for the challenge to go deeper. Upon doing so, I found in the Strong's Concordance that the Hebrew word here could also be translated "person".

So my statement (or woman) is not necessarily negated by the text of Prov 27:17.
In addition, some women are more manly than their male counterparts (note the preacher and his wife at Western Hills:). Should these women be disqualified from mutual edification?

If there are any other historical or contextual principles I might have overlooked that relate to this topic please feel free to share.

capnwatsisname said...

I, for one, will try to read all future posts from my scoffing seat.

Anonymous said...

It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, some to be scoffers, and some to be pastors and teachers...

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.