Friday, December 19, 2008

I Will Kill You

As I was reading through Exodus, something occurred to me that never did before. Beginning with the Big 10 in Chapter 20, there is a long list of commands. The ten commandments are stated without any reference to punishments for lawbreakers. Through the next couple of chapters there are several offenses for which there are prescribed penalties from fines to death. In all cases, the sentencing and punishment is to be carried out by the Israelite community. However, in Exodus 22:22-24 God himself intervenes to pronounce the judgment, the sentence, and carry out the punishment.

"Do not take advantage of a widow or an orphan. If you do and they cry out to me, I will certainly hear their cry. My anger will be aroused and I will kill you with the sword; your wives will become widows and your children- fatherless."

The sudden shift is unmistakable and the implications are equally clear. Don't mess with the helpless ones of this world.

People who mistreat those who have no voice, will find God has become their enemy.

No comments: